We are pleased to announce that Anna Marie Klein-Christie has joined us as the new U.S. Director/Director of Development for Safe Passage/Camino Seguro!
She joins our team after decades working in the nonprofit community in Maine. Her work has focused on youth and families by serving as the Executive Director of Rippleffect, an experiential education program for youth, and Development Director for Day One, a youth substance abuse recovery program. Her mix of program development experience and fundraising skills are a perfect fit at a time when Safe Passage/Camino Seguro is building our educational programming to best serve the children of the Guatemala City garbage dump community.
Anna Marie will be working with our Board of Directors and incoming Interim Director to build on the foundation that you have made possible:
- Expanding our full-day primary school through grade 5 and implementing Expeditionary Learning as our teaching methodology.
- Building a large new school facility on donated land near the garbage dump.
- Receiving accreditation for our Adult Education Program from the Guatemalan Ministry of Education.
- Expanding our Próximo Paso graduate program to prepare our older students for the workforce.
- Creating our Young Collaborators internship program for recent high school graduates.
- Strengthening relationships with families through monthly meetings.
Anna Marie’s hire is a part of a strategic commitment to provide a stable transition to a permanent Head of School in Guatemala and a comprehensive, whole child program that truly breaks the cycle of poverty through education.
On behalf of our kids and our entire community, we are very grateful for your support!
Sandra Aguilar de Gonzalez
Safe Passage Board President